Welcome!

Welcome!

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Tami Ramon Slaps The S#!@ Outta Meka Clayton


Over the past few weeks, Basketball Wives creator Shaunie O’Neal has been telling every one who will listen that she’s quite embarrassed by what the show has become over the past few seasons. She recently told Fox 411′s Pop Tart Column



“I never imagined it would be a group of ladies fighting and arguing the way that they do. That was never part of the plan. I hate that it has to be a fight or an argument that gives us 4.2 million viewers. I hate that, but it’s something where I’m working as hard as I can to show some type of balance, because it is there. ”
Basketball Wives star Tami Roman, who’s been involved in the majority of the drama this season, further explains that there is so much fighting on Basketball Wives because that’s what the viewers tune in to see. She also goes on to say that, although they film a lot of positive things that they are doing, the audience doesn’t want to see that, using the canceled ‘Football Wives’ show as an example.
Shaunie is caught between a rock and a hard place because she’s not the only executive producer. So, I know when she initially went with this concept to them, what ‘Basketball Wives’ has evolved into is not her creative mindset at work. What ultimately ended up happening is that when you do reality TV, the whole thing that drives it is the dramatic aspect. If you have six, seven people who all get along, nobody finds that interesting.
Proof positive is Shaunie tried to express to VH1 that ‘my initial idea will work. People want to see us do positive things. People want to see us getting along.’ And she came out with ‘Football Wives.’ ‘Football Wives’ has since been canceled because people don’t want to see that.
Even with our show, we do so many positive things. There were several tapings with my mom. My mom is battling diabetes, and that was very heartfelt and touching to me, and I felt that should’ve been on the show. Shaunie and I helped put a young girl through a semester of college, I felt that should’ve been on the show. There were aspects with me and my daughter, and Royce auditioning for Broadway, and things that everybody’s going through that are far more positive and far more relevant to trying to put out positive imagery. That stuff does not make it.
They’ll shoot it. If this is your storyline, we’ll tape it. But when it goes to editing, people only want to see the dramatic stuff. Literally, the argument that you see may only happen over a weekend. We tape for four months. But they’ll take the biggest arguments we have, and those become the focal points of the storyline. That is not our fault. We would absolutely love to see more positive imagery, but the audience doesn’t want to see that.
It sounds like they are physically fighting each other every season just for the ratings, however Tami is absolutely right. I have seen plenty of positive shows that didn’t make it past the first season because there was no drama. Some people live for it. If only we could get more balance on Television.


Read more of Tami’s interview over at The Examiner

No comments:

Post a Comment