Welcome!

Welcome!

Friday, July 1, 2011

Beyonce Documentary

Beyonce took over TV last night with her mini documentary “Beyonce: Year of 4″ airing on a total of four networks; MTV, BET, VH1 and Centric. She gave fans a peak into her life behind the scenes while creating her new album “4.”
In the documentary, she explained her decision to take almost a year off, why she decided to part ways with her father as a manager and the interesting story behind the choreography in her “Who Run The World (Girls)” video. Check out a few highlights and the full video below:
On Why She took a break
After I finished the last tour I was a bit overwhelmed and over worked. My mother was the person that preached to me and almost harassed me everyday after I was doing the last world tour. “You really need to live your life and open your eyes and you don’t want to wake up with no memories and never really [have] been able to see the world.” I never even realized I needed a year off and I never realized that I didn’t know how to take a year off.

On parting ways with her father
I’ve been managed by my father for a long time and a real change meant separating from him. It was scary but it empowered me and I wasn’t going to let fear stop me. It was very risky for me to step out on my own. Being a young woman I want to set the example that it’s possible for us to own our own businesses and own our own record labels. Sometimes we don’t reach for the stars, sometimes we are satisfied with what people tell us that we’re suppose to be satisfied with and I’m just not going for it.

The story behind the choreography of “Who Run The World (Girls)”
The choreography for the video “Girls” was such a huge part of the pie. This song was about dance and something about that [beat], it takes you back to Africa. I saw this YouTube clip maybe about a year ago and I locked it away in my memory bank and said “Okay, for my next project when I do up tempos, that’s how I want to dance.

It just didn’t happen. I had every dancer, every choreographer, every really talented, talented dancer try to do the dance but they just couldn’t do it like “Tofo Tofo.” I said I have to have those young guys fly out to wherever we are and they have to teach us the choreography
On performing for the first time
I feel very vulnerable when I perform a song for the first time. I may not say it be I’m terrified. When I did “Girls’ I was like, “Oh my God, what am I doing? Why am I here? Why did I do this?” I like that nervousness. I don’t like it in the moment but I know that it just means that I want it and it means that it’s challenging to me and I’m doing the right job. You can’t be too comfortable and too confident.

On crying when “Tofo Tofo” left the set
I could completely identify with the amount of love and passion that those guys felt when they were walking away from the set. It made me feel like I was 15 years-old again on my first video set. I didn’t want to go home and I saw them not wanting to go home and I remember that moment trying to get that last look of the set and kind of digested what I was walking away from and just being torn because I never wanted to leave.

Forget all of the record sells; forget all the trying to compete or trying to out-do yourself. You should be doing it just because you love it. That’s what those young guys had and that’s what I always want to have. I never want to lose that.

No comments:

Post a Comment