Welcome!

Welcome!

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Jada Pinkette Smith Tells It All!


The lovely super mom, business woman and actress Jada Pinkett-Smith is covering the August issue of Redbook magazine. In the behind the scenes video, Jada discussed how she thinks women should treat themselves better as well as care for others.
She also reveals how she stays motivated and disciplined in comparison to her husband, wanting to obtain a degree in religious studies and how she continues to keep her relationship hot after 12 years of marriage. Check out a snapshot of the interview below:
How can women treat themselves better?
I wish I knew the answer of what every woman needs to do to treat herself better. I can tell you what this woman needs to do to treat herself better. I always have to have a place quiet in creation.

What’s the importance of not running on empty?
So many of us are so use to running on empty thinking that’s the way to be a good wife or thinking that’s the way to be a good mother and at the end of the day it’s not. I truly don’t believe that; I know we have our moments when life gets really busy and it gets hectic and we might run on a little bit of empty for a little while but we shouldn’t.

There’s societies in India were women everyday massage one another. It’s not a luxury, it’s an absolute must. When I think about something like that in certain cultures and societies where women come together and care for one another in that way, it helps you understand what’s necessary in order to be rejuvenated or refueled because there are other cultures full of women who understand what it takes to be a woman and what it takes to be refueled in order to keep that psyche going.
What’s the difference between discipline and motivation?
I’m not the type of person that will work out at the same time everyday. I might get up in the morning and do a work out. The next day I might do it in the afternoon. The next day I might do it in the evening. Discipline and motivated are two different things. I’m very motivated, I’m going to get it done, believe me. I just don’t know when.

Will [Smith] is disciplined. Will will get up 5 a.m. on the trend mill, 5 miles everyday clock work and I can’t do it like that. I’m not a ‘do it the same way everyday’ kind of girl. I never have been. I can’t stand it. I got to switch it up. I don’t think I’m disciplined in a way that most people would describe being disciplined.
What’s one thing you’d like to do that you haven’t done?
You know what I want? I want a degree in religious studies. I love religion, always have. I was brought up in an ethical society. Every Sunday, my Sunday school was learning about different religions. So, I really have a passion for religion and the history of religion. I’ve often told Will that I wanted and he’s often told me “You should go to school and get a degree in religious studies” and I think I’d like to do that before I die, I really would.

How do you keep [your connection with Will]?
Talk. Or the other day, because I’ve been working a lot, I said to Will, “Be ready at 2:30.” He said, “Where are we going?” I said, “Don’t worry about it.”  So I put together a picnic basket and drove us to this hiking trail that I’d taken him to when we first met. No Secret Service, nothing. I got the idea because that morning he’d been reading a book on architecture, and he told me that it said the only replenishment for the soul is nature. Now, I’ve always known that’s true for me, but for a dude to say “nature,” I’m like, “Wow!” I said to myself, I’m going to take him on that hike. So we went up and had a really nice afternoon. We were there for about an hour, just sitting on a bench overlooking the canyons. I’m getting teary just thinking about it. We were both replenished and so happy and connected in that one hour. It doesn’t take a lot of time. Once again, it’s just being aware and present enough to know what that other person wants. What does he want today?

After 11 years of marriage, any tips for keeping a relationship hot?
Nice outfits and high heels! And talking. And making time. You’ve got to make time. Our men want to feel important. We want to feel important. So it’s about establishing an environment in which that can happen. It can be hard because we get caught in the grind of life. Establish relationships with family members or friends and take turns with each other’s kids so you can make that time for yourselves. It doesn’t take a lot of money — wallets are tight right now — so just simple stuff. A night walk? Man, do I love those. Or pack a lunch and go to the park, like Will and I did. Even a drive — and then pull over on the side of the road! Think of places outside that are comfortable to have sex. Does he have access to his office? Have a fantasy date. Be his secretary! Be sneaky. Your girlfriend’s house at a party. The bathroom! A guest bedroom! Just switch it up. Anything like that can keep it going. Anything it takes to keep the flame alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment