Welcome!

Welcome!

Monday, March 14, 2011

Brandy Talks About Her Prom With Kobe Bryant



In one of the most entertaining “When I Was 17″ segments I’ve ever seen, Brandy Norwood recounts her prom date with Kobe Byrant fainting the first time she met Michael Jackson, and embarrassing herself after winning a Grammy with Monica.
I literally laughed out loud at the footage of her running up to the stage and snatching the Grammy before Monica could even get out of her seat. What a moment!
Check out some highlights and the video below:


brocka wiw17 by yardie4lifever2
On going to the prom with Kobe Bryant
When I was 17, I didn’t get a chance to go to my own prom but that same year I was at an Essence event and this tall good looking guy comes up to me and goes “Oh my god, I’m a big fan of yours, you should go with me to prom.” ‘Dude, first of all like, who are you?’  We went through a whole resume. “I’m the number one high school basketball player in the world, my name is Kobe Bryant”. I still didn’t know who he was because [back] then I didn’t know much about basketball. I knew who Michael Jordan was but that was about it.
Next thing you know, Kobe flew my mom and I out. Made me feel like a queen. It was like royal treatment and then we went to prom. I just felt like a normal 17-year-old, it was so much fun, although it was cameras and media there, it still felt normal to be in a school with kids my age. We were dancing; it just felt real. I needed that..I really needed to experience that and I wouldn’t if Kobe never asked me.
On Reacting to Her Grammy Win
So at 17, I was nominated for a Grammy with Monica for “The Boy Is Mine.” Monica and I showed up together, we did the red carpet. You know I’m anxious, I fidgeted and we get to our seats, they go through the nominees and I’m sitting there just like moving my knees and feet like “Oh My God, this could be it.” So, they go [the winner is] before they can get the pronunciation of the “R” out of their mouth I’m up. I jump up out of my seat and I’m taking off like I’m on somebody’s track meet. I started running to the stage. When I get to the stage they didn’t even hand me the Grammy, I grabbed the Grammy from them like “Gimme my Grammy”-like that type of a snatch. I stood in front of that mic and said, “I know this is totally out of my image but yo, this is a Grammy!!! Oh my God, I can’t believe I’m here.” In the aisle I see Monica gracefully walking to the stage. It was almost like someone saying, “This is what you should have done because what you just did was tacky and just wrong.” Thank God people only saw it one time and it’s not on YouTube or any of that because that would have been a mess.


No comments:

Post a Comment